Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Picasso at the Lapin Agile

We saw Stage Door Productions' performance of Steve Martin’s Picasso at the Lapin Agile in the theater of the downtown library this past weekend. That’s a great venue for a play: if 40 people show up at a high school auditorium, the turnout seems dismal, but in the library’s theater, that’s a solid showing.

As usual, this theater group turned in a fine effort. And the audience around us was laughing heartily at Steve Martin’s comedy about Einstein and Picasso meeting in a Paris bar at the start of the 20th century, before each had produced their most important creative works. Normally, I love Steve Martin’s work, and this play has received wide acclaim by theater critics, but for me, the script fell flat. There were a number of amusing moments, but I didn’t find it quite as laugh out loud funny as the audience around me. Still, I’m always happy to recommend a night out enjoying local theater. You can catch the play this Friday and Saturday at 8 pm. The show runs about 80 minutes. Admission is $10.

2 comments:

COD said...

I was just thinking last night about what we could do different than the standard dinner / movie. This is perfect.

Anonymous said...

I'd be interested in hearing what you think of it. If it doesn't appeal, just think of it as supporting local theater!

And by the way, thanks for ferreting out all the stuff on the web I really need to see. That Sarah Silverman video was hysterical.